Disgraced ex-Tory MP Charlie Elphicke jailed for 2 years for sex attacks on women – after wife left him over conviction
The ex-MP, who described himself as a ‘naughty Tory’ as he chased a woman around his house, was found guilty of three counts of sexual assault in July
Former Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke has been sentenced to two years in prison for three counts of sexual assault against two women.
The disgraced ex-MP appeared at Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday for sentencing over s3x attacks on two younger women.
Wearing a grey suit, an open neck blue shirt and with no face covering, Elphicke was flanked by one guard who locked them both into the reinforced glass dock.
Judge Mrs Justice Whipple previously warned Elphicke, who has been on bail, that he could be jailed for the three sexual assaults he was found guilty of.
READ ALSO: Queen, Kate Middleton and Prince William wish Prince Harry a ‘very happy’ 36th birthday but Meghan not included in pics
The 49-year-old declared himself a “naughty Tory” as he chased his first victim around his central London family home.
He also attacked a second woman, a parliamentary worker in her 20s with whom he was “besotted”, twice in a month while Dover MP in 2016.
Prosecutor Eloise Marshall QC read the court the victim impact statements of both women.
The first said Elphicke’s actions have “had a lasting impact” on her.
Elphicke declared himself a “naughty Tory” as he chased his first victim around his central London family home.
In her statement, the woman said it has resulted in her being anxious and on edge in everyday situations such as visiting the shops or taking a taxi.
She said the trial process was “traumatic” and was inflicted on her by Elphicke effectively calling her a liar by denying the allegations.
The woman said: “Having found the courage to approach the police in 2017 I found the process very long and distressing.”
Elphicke attacked the second woman, a parliamentary worker in her 20s with whom he was “besotted”, twice in a month while Dover MP in 2016.
She said in her impact statement: “I still remember how he made me feel, those feelings of fear and hopelessness that he inflicted on me.”
She said Elphicke made her feel “trapped, helpless and entirely on edge” every time she was alone with him.
The woman said: “My inner scars will always be there.”
Elphicke’s barrister Ian Winter QC said: “Shortly Mr Elphicke’s descent into total disgrace will be complete.
“He’s destroyed what was a very successful parliamentary career culminating in him becoming a government whip.
“He has lost his wife. His daughter of 20 years is estranged from him as a direct result of his conduct.
“His son aged 13 has suffered vicious bullying and taunted that his father is a rapist.
“It’s difficult to get any lower.”
Mr Winter urged the judge not to send his client to jail.
He said: “I’m here to urge mercy from this court.”
Mr Elphicke, 49, had denied three counts of sexual assault during a three-week trial.
But 48 hours after deliberations began, a jury at London’s Southwark Crown Court found him guilty of three counts of sexual assault on July 30.
His wife Natalie Elphicke, his successor as Dover MP, made no comment as she left Southwark Crown Court without her husband.
She later tweeted: “Today’s verdict is one that brings profound sorrow. It ends my 25 year marriage to the only man I have ever loved.”
The verdict brought to an end a saga that began almost three years ago, when the MP first lost the Tory whip over the allegations.
The former tax lawyer and married dad-of-two always protested his innocence – but admitted he had an affair.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Teaching assistant ‘had s3x with pupil, 15, in favourite position in field’, court hears
He stood down ahead of the 2019 election and his wife Natalie – who earlier held his hand outside court – won Kent seat of Dover in his place.
He told the court he had an affair with a woman between 2015 and 2017. She also cannot be identified for legal reasons.
The former MP had the whip suspended in November 2017 when the allegations were reported to police.
At the time he claimed he was “not aware of what the alleged claims are” and denied wrongdoing.
He later had the whip restored in December 2018, just before a no confidence vote in Theresa May.
However, it was then suspended again in July 2019 when he was charged with sexual assault.