Parents who stormed the Accra Girls Senior High School Monday morning demanding the release of their wards after the school recorded six COVID-19 cases have been turned away by school authorities.
According to the parents, news of the school being the first Senior High School to report COVID-19 infections barely three weeks after the reopening for final year students, makes it hard for them to leave their wards in the hands of the school authorities hence the demand for their release.
News reporters joined the parents at the school’s entrance as they gathered demanding to be allowed to take their daughters back home but they had to wait for several hours before being ushered into the school’s premises for a meeting with the school’s authorities.
After the rather brief meeting, the parents who appeared disappointed told the team that, the authorities insisted the students are in good hands and were not going to be released to them as was being demanded.
“They have given us assurance that if they identify any child that has contracted the disease, they will isolate. But I don’t agree with them, because if the virus is here, they don’t have to wait for someone to test positive before they isolate the person,” a disappointed parent told News Reporters.
“The way things are going, if we don’t take our wards home things will get out of hand… but they are now saying the medical officers will come and check on the children so for me I don’t know what to do now,” another parent expressed his frustration.
Some of the parents bemoaned the level of communication and assistance they have received from the Parents and Teachers Association of the school who they say have so far been unhelpful in the management of the situation.
“The PTA doesn’t work, because it’s a one thing. I can assure you that for all these years we haven’t seen anything good from the PTA. I cannot depend on the PTA because they are not working as we want them to,” a student’s parent lamented.